How many years have you been playing and teaching piano?
Playing/Learning – Over 14 years
Teaching Piano – Over 7 years
University of North Texas – Jazz Big Band and the Jazz singers (West End)
Many kinds of performance skills – Church band, Small group and solo piano
Yuan Liu was born in Taiyuan City, China. Yuan entered the elementary school affiliate of Central Conservatory of Music to focus on piano at the age of eight and studied with Prof. Pingguo Zhao. During high school, Yuan was invited to play together with renown Chinese pianists Mr. Wenyu Shen and Mr. Lang Lang.
Currently, Yuan is currently a senior student majoring in piano performance at Texas Christian University with a full-scholarship. At TCU, she is under the guidance of the Chair of the Piano Division Professor John Owings. Yuan performed the complete 24 Chopin Etudes at the school, which is made up of technically challenging pieces, at the age of 17. “Very impressive performance of the Chopin etudes, with wonderful clarity and incredible technique,” the comments from the artistic director Dr. Kaplinsky from The Juilliard School. Yuan has also performed in many recital halls, including St. Petersburg Philharmonic Hall, Hong Kong City Hall, Hong Kong Cultural Centre Hall, Oklahoma Central Boathouse, PepsiCo Recital Hall at Texas Christian University, Greenfield Hall at the Manhattan School of Music, Helen Bader Recital Hall at Wisconsin Conservatory of Music, Mitchell Hall at University of Central Oklahoma, and the Carnegie Weill Recital Hall.
Besides performance, Yuan is also passionate towards teaching. Yuan’s first student, made her realize helping people to achieve their musical goals and to promote their love for music is very satisfying. Yuan is currently an active piano teacher in Fort Worth, TX.
- Rachmaninoff Concerto no. 2 (mov.1) with St. Petersburg Orchestra, 2009.
- Chopin Etudes Op. 10 & Op. 25 at Texas Christian University PepsiCo Recital Hall, 2015.
- Performed Petroushka by Stravinsky in the Award Ceremony of New York International Piano Competition at Carnegie Hall, 2016.
- Solo Recital as an invited artist at University of Central Oklahoma, 2017.
Prominent Awards Second Prize – Culture and Talent Contest, Taiyuan, China (2003) Third Prize – East Juvenile Art Stars Competition, Beijing, China (2004)
- First Prize – 16th Art and Education Piano Contest, Taiyuan, China (2006)
- Best Performance Prize – 2nd Cadenza Cup Juvenile Piano Competition, Beijing, China
- Third Prize – 14th U.S Oberlin International Piano Competition (China Division), Beijing,
- Excellent Award – 7th Juvenile International Piano Competition “Step Towards Master,” St
Petersburg, Russia (2009)
- First Award and the Best Performance Prize of Bach – 16th Hong Kong Asian Piano Competition, Hong Kong (2011)
- Sixth Prize – 5th TOYAMA Asian Junior Competition, Hong Kong (2012)
- First Prize – Kuleshov International Piano Festival and Competition, Oklahoma, U.S. (2016)
- Fifth Prize – New York International Piano Competition, New York, U.S. (2016
- Four Year Full-Scholarship at Texas Christian University, 2014-2018.
- Texas Christian University Dean’s List for Excellent Students with Academic Scholarship,
- Piano Activity Award from TCU School of Music, 2016.
- Pianist at Richland Hills Christian Church from 10/2016 to current North Richland Hills, Texas.
- Piano Accompanist at Texas Christian University from 9/2015 to current.
- Pedagogy Program at Texas Christian University, Fall/2017, and Spring/2018. Fort Worth, Texas.